Taking a moment to clean your washing machine can ensure your washer and dryer runs more efficient, mildew free, and a lower risk for fires.
We often view the washing machine as one of the cleanest places in your home, how could it not be? It regularly has warm water and soap whirling around. This is not the case though, the best area for mildew to grow is in a warm, dark, and moist place.
To properly clean your washing machine you will need vinegar, baking soda (front-loader only), bleach (top-loader only), sponge, and a clean cloth.
We are going to go step by step how to clean both a front-loader and a top-loader washing machine.
How to Clean a Front-Loader
If you own a front-loading washing machine the cleaning process is simple.
- Start the washer on the longest and hottest setting available.
- Place two cups of vinegar into the front-loader washer.
- Place one-quarter cup of baking soda.
- Start the wash cycle.
- After the washing cycle completes, wipe down the inside with a damp sponge.
- Dry the surfaces with a clean, dry cloth.
- Repeat steps monthly!
How to Clean a Top-Loader
- Set the washer to the hottest and longest setting.
- Place four cups of bleach into the top-loader washer.
- Allow the washer to fill completely, then stop it and let it soak for an hour.
- After the hour has passed let the washing machine complete it’s cycle.
- Restart the cycle again adding four cups of vinegar.
- Allow the washing machine to fill up and soak for an hour.
- At the end of the hour, take a sponge and clean the exposed surfaces, including the detergent basket.
- Start the cycle again and let it run through the complete wash cycle.
- When done, dry the interior off with a clean cloth.
The steps above suggestions on how to clean your washer. Always refer to the manufacturer’s instructions on how to clean your washer and the proper amount of detergent to use.
Did you know that your Spartanburg home cleaning service offers laundry service? Contact us to discuss your home cleaning service options. In addition to laundry service we provide kitchen cleaning, bathroom cleaning and a deep clean.